Facial fillers (also called dermal fillers) are natural substances that are safely injected under the skin. They are effective in smoothening out deep facial lines and rejuvenating the face for many months.
Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in our bodies and holds water, hydrating and giving volume to the skin and contributing towards a youthful plump appearance. With ageing the level of natural HA decreases giving a deflated facial appearance.
Since its launch in 1996 NASHA (Non-Animal Stabilised Hyaluronic Acid) fillers e.g.Restylane™ have been used safely in over 11 million treatments worldwide – with no risk of transmission of infectious diseases from animals and minimal risk of allergic reaction.
The effects normally last between 3 to 9 months depending on the type of product used and the injection location.They are a safe and effective way to correct lines, wrinkles and folds and shaping facial contours to restore a youthful appearance.
Miss Lee will discuss your expectations beforehand, so that you have a realistic idea of what can be achieved.
Facial fillers can be used to:
- Add volume to lessen the effects of ageing, especially in the cheek and chin area.
- Add volume to hollowing after surgery eg. blepharoplasty where excess fat has been removed.
- Lift and smooth out superficial moderate wrinkles around the eyes.
- Correct deeper lines and folds, such as forehead grooves and nose-to-mouth (nasolabial) lines.
- Accentuate or restore symmetry to facial contours.
The treatment consists of a series of injections and an anaesthetic gel can be given and/ or ice packs applied prior to treatment to help numb the area. The results are visible immediately. Fillers can be used in conjunction with Botox injections to achieve a more long lasting effect.
What to expect after treatment
- The injection treatment may be uncomfortable and can cause bruising, swelling and tenderness. This should usually settle in a few days.
- Avoid rubbing the treated area for at least 48 hours. If a cheek treatment has been given, be careful not to sleep face down on either side.
- Small bumpy areas can occur and once the swelling has settled, you can massage any tiny bumps with your thumb or index finger to flatten out any unevenness.
- The filler can be easily and rapidly dissolved with a hyaluronidase (hyalase) injection if you are unhappy with the result.
Note: All treatment is preceded by a consultation and examination to establish the correct diagnosis.